Saturday, June 29, 2013

Split it down the middle...

Since I graduated in May I haven't really been able to wrap my head around the whole prospect of being an adult and getting some office job that I secretly, or openly, hate. I know I have to and I am in the process of applying to said jobs, because honestly I am so beyond broke it isn't even funny. Well, maybe it is a little funny. Lucky for me though, my siblings are generous enough to help me out until I can get on my feet. And for the moment I am just sitting here, typing this and watching the last few episodes of Firefly which, unfortunately, I had never seen until now. And it is amazing. It is seriously the space Western I never knew I was waiting for. Except for maybe Cowboy Bebop. Or Outlaw Star. I always get those two mixed up since it's been over 10 years since I watched both. Maybe while I have time I can watch them and get my references right, for once.

I'm noticing while watching Firefly how adorable Kaylee looks with her middle hair part and I am super jealous. I have a similar face shape but there is no way I could pull a middle part off without looking like a chipmunk smuggling nuts out of a grocery store. Which I have to battle enough with a side part. Most people who do the middle part end up looking like they stepped out of a Life spread from the 70's. It's a sketchy idea, that middle part. Works well when it does, does not work at all when it doesn't.

I suppose this post was pointless. Just really itching to write lately and all my creative ideas sort of go away whenever I try to articulate them. So I am just left with these disjointed bits of thought to share. I did have something I wanted to write specifically but I have already forgotten because, as I typed before, I am also watching Firefly and I am on episode 12 and I know it ends after only two more episodes and the movie. Such a good show, great writing, acting, the chemistry between the crew members is tangible and a joy to watch. Why did they ever cancel this show?! I mean, Even Teen Mom got like, 4 or 5 seasons and it celebrated teen pregnancy on a nauseating level. But this show, which shows strong female characters and honorable rogue gentlemen along with smart storytelling and an interesting and well-built world, this show gets cancelled after one season and pretty much screwed over when Fox decided to finally rerun it afterwards, showing it out of order. Ridiculous. It's the same thing as Kyle XY. A great sci-fi show, with decent actors, albeit not quite on par with Nathan Fillion, but what they lacked in formal training they certainly made up for in an obvious interest in the show and a desire to portray these characters the best way they knew how. And then horrifically acted shows on the Disney channel go on and on and on. I mean, Dog with a Blog? What? Who even thought that up? The mere idea of that should have gotten that person fired.

Maybe next time I will post something useful, maybe I'll discover a new recipe or cleaning secret or I'll finally buckle down and commit to giving creative writing advice, since I did minor in Creative Writing at university. More than likely however, it'll just be more of this. With the exception of a rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment